Thursday, April 1, 2021

Picaz April 01, 2021 at 03:18PM



/r/Pics is now "/r/DescriptionsOfPictures," apparently.

Welp, I hope you're all happy.Whenever the moderators remove rule-breaking posts, we get accused of censoring people.Whenever the moderators approve rule-abiding posts, we get accused of pushing a narrative.If we allow posts that people dislike, everyone claims that we're lazy idiots who won't do anything.If we remove posts that people like, everyone claims that we're power-hungry shut-ins.Throughout all of this, the site's administrators keep us under a microscope, analyzing our activity and issuing mandates from on high. They send us secret messages – usually via the ice machines in our refrigerators – and offer vague threats about how painful we'll find it if we don't bend to their desires.So here we are.Thanks to all of your complaining, /r/Pics may only feature 237-character-long descriptions of rule-abiding photographs. Apparently 237 characters is considered "the optimal length for user engagement and reach" or something. Oh, and this is allegedly being rolled out as some kind of "literacy-boosting endeavor," given that typos, misspellings, missing (or misused) punctuation, and a whole host of other things are now forbidden.If you're detecting a note of sarcasm here, it's because I've been forbidden from saying what I really think. I'm not allowed to write, say, "I'm usually the first person to champion error-free writing, but this is just going too far," just like I'm not allowed to offer sentiments like "We might as well turn /r/Pics into Twitter, then, you irritating morons."I'd like to, but I can't.Anyway, welcome to the new /r/Pics. Please imagine me making a rude gesture.


via /r/pics

No comments:

Post a Comment